Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'LL PLAY TODAY

What can I say...... I got tagged. And I'll be a sport, cause thats what I do. Thats what I am.

(I need to go back and add in the links, but right now I'm too busy....)

the childhood meme

We all know that memes and surveys suck, but i kind of like this topic, so let's play along, shall we?

what 5 things do you miss about your childhood?

this meme requires you to do the following things:

remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place. add your blog's name in the #5 spot. link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross-pollenation effect.

There's Pie in the Lunchroom
The Meat of the Matter
who the-what the-HUH?
escapekey
Lonestar State of Mind

next, inflict this meme on five new people. i shall inflict it upon

Jessica <--Because she she just got back from a family reunion in her homestate and is refreshed with memories.
Jasika <-- I don't want to disturb her usual poetic waxing, but she doesn't post often enough.
M'tini <-- Busy moving this week, but maybe later.
Lissa Ann <--cause she needs to get her mind off of the present for a moment.
KelBel <-- Cause she's just plain cool.

Finally, list the five things you miss most from childhood.

1. Sports
Growing up, I didn't spend much time in front of the TV or the (enter video game console of choice here). I did sports. A lot of them. As did my siblings. I'm really not sure how my mom found the time to run us all around. Oh, yeah I do - we had a "housekeeper". And we had bikes. It was skiing from November to March. Soccer from Feb (indoor) to Aug. Football from July to Oct. Then all over again. For many years. I miss the activity and variety. I miss being in shape. I miss the competition. I miss the winning. And the losing. I miss the life lessons learned, and discovery of the world.

2. Traveling
I traveled a lot for both sports and with my family. I've been to all lower 48 states and many other countries. Many people don't get the opportunity to travel much and there is so much more to see and experience out there. I can't imagine what my life would be like had I not had this opportunity. I haven't been traveling much in recent years for lack of time, but I keep telling myself I need to just make the time. One of these days.....

3. Absense of REAL responsibility
I miss not having any bills. Not HAVING to have a job. And my mistakes being dismissed with "he's just a kid" (I'm not saying there weren't consequences, just that kids are more easily forgiven because they are expected to make mistakes). Back then, the major worries were being to practice or school or home on time. Its funny too, because everything seemed so important and dramatic back then. This is probably the appropriate area to write about how I miss being 15 and knowing EVERYTHING! The real world sucks when you find out you don't know shit.

4. My mentors
I had lots of friends growing up. Lots of enemies too. But I always had a lot of "grown-up" friends. People in whom I identified great qualities and admired. I was lucky enough that they saw some kind of potential in me enough to take the time for me too. They didn't have to. In the grown up world those things are fewer and further between.

5. My Family
We stay in touch and are all very close. But we are all spread out now and I miss them all a lot. One of the most important things my family did (and if I have children will also do) is ate dinner TOGETHER every night. Even if it meant eating at 8pm because someone wasn't home from practice or another engagement. Sometimes we'd talk about politics, sometimes sports, sometimes world events, and sometimes we wouldn't talk at all. We would laugh, yell, cry, listen. But mostly we just got to know each other. Everyday again. As we became people.