Tuesday, November 29, 2005

MORE "CLOSURE"

I got another "closure" call a few days ago. I'm actually not going to bitch about this one. It was actually a good call. The girl is one of the best girls I've ever dated. She was brilliant, fun, loyal, beautiful, easy-going, etc. etc.

So what happened? I got bored. Actually, maybe I just got scared. I wasn't that far out of marriage when we met, so that was probably a factor too. She lived a couple hours away, which was perfect in some ways - bad in others. Things were great until they started moving out of the "honeymoon" period and into the "comfortable" period. I just wasn't ready. That's the bottom line.

A few months ago, I called her to check in and see how she's doing. She didn't answer, but called back a few days later and I didn't answer. Then, a few days later I called her - she answered and was with her new boyfriend. We had a great conversation at the time, which apparently her new guy was a little miffed and threatened by. I can understand - especially because she had previously referred to me as the "love of her life" to him. She sounded happy though, and that's all I want for her because she's a great girl.

The closure call, she said, was more for him than her. She said that she had come to terms with things between us over time and that at this point, it wasn't really an issue. However, the new guy has been having issues with it and she was calling, more out of respect for him - to tell me that she was "over" me. I really don't mind this - provided it makes their relationship better, but I'm really not sure of the point. I mean, it wasn't like she was saying she didn't want to talk to me ever again - quite the contrary actually. In fact, she is making me some CDs to help recover some that I lost in the move to SD.

I'm not a jealous person, but I guess I could understand things in this case. I do, however, believe that especially in our day and age when people aren't getting hitched until later in life - that you have to be more tolerant that people will often stay friends after they realize that they aren't so good as a couple.