Tuesday, August 16, 2005

UPDATE

So "The Girl" stopped by for a few minutes last night......... with the girlfriend. I was on the porch after breaking up two fights in my yard from these bullish softball types duking it out. She came prancing up all sassy and smiles with the girlfriend trailing 3 paces behind, hands in pockets. The girl gives me a hug and turns to watch what will happen with me and the GF. The last time the 3 of us hung out, it was me and The Girl together and she was just a friend hanging with us drinking beer. I could tell she (the GF) was uncomfortable, not really sure what to say or how to act. I know this was a moment she was dreading. Wishing would never take place. I disarmed her by giving her a big hug. I could feel her heartbeat fast - then I could feel the tention release from her muscles as she remembered that I was actually a really good guy. They begged me to come out drinking with them, but I knew it wasn't a good idea - and I was still feeling a little achey.

As they walked away, the GF grabbed her hand as if to mark her territory. In retrospect, I recall looking away because for some reason it made me a little uncomfortable - I'm not a jealous type, so it wasn't that - more that I know what "The Girl" says to me and its all just a phase to her. To the GF, its different. More serious. More committed.

It'll be interesting to see how the week unfolds. I'll do my best to stay away from instigating conflict or controversy, because I have no need. I didn't want her when I had her. Or at least not on the terms she required. I cannot lie though - the competitive, alpha instinct in me wants to prove who REALLY has the power. I'll repress that thought, for the time being.