Wednesday, March 22, 2006

DID I LEAVE TEXAS JUST IN TIME?

While I love and miss Texas tremendously, I don't miss some of the stupid things that state officials come up with.

THIS ARTICLE Talks about how a new sting operation is underway. The target: People drunk INSIDE the bar. I have no doubt, had this been going on while I lived in Houston, I'd be wearing the latest fashion in prison attire. I don't care if Martha Stewart designed it either, I don't look so good in orange.

The main objective, according to the article, is to prevent drunk people from driving. As the late Barney Fife would say, "Nip it in the bud". Sounds to me like a pretty logical allocation of state resources...much better than, say, improving the available transportation options home from bars.

Of course it's mentioned that this also serves to prevent people from doing other stupid things like "jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.” Now I'm not familiar with too many bars which feature an available swimming pool in which to jump from a balcony. This would lead me to assume people are doing this privately, where they are most likely also doing the drinking.

Next on the agenda for state authorities? A sting operation targeting buffet restaurants: Arresting those who go back for seconds, to prevent people from health risks associated with obesity. If they die from being unhealthy, its suicide - which is illegal. And, after all, Texas IS the "fattest state". They feel it's a good "pre-emptive strategy".