Wednesday, May 11, 2005

RECONNECTING

I picked my dad up from the airport yesterday afternoon. He decided to come for a visit through the weekend. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years and he hasn't changed much. I hope I look like him in 25 years, minus the grey.

After 2 or 3 decades of knowing your parents, I would think there isn't much you wouldn't know about the history. I really thought I knew most things about them, other than some details that I don't care to know. But I found out a fact last night that floored me. A little background - my parents grew up in small town Wyoming where during a little summertime fun, they managed to get my mom prego with my older brother. She had just gradumatated and he still had a year left (yeah, he was a stud shaggin the older chicks). Doing the honorable and natural thing that people did back then, they decided to get married. Flashing forward to a conversation we were having last night, I was talking about how I like the HBO series Deadwood. He said, "You know, thats where your mother and I got married."

Rhuhh??? Rhay wat Rraggy????

"Yeah. In a little court house built in the late 1800's. We were too young to get married in our hometown, so we went there. Neat little frontier town. We had a few friends and family and had a small picnic on the courthouse lawn."

Wow!! I always thought (assumed) they got married in the home town. In That Girl fashion, I ask the pointless question of "Why didn't you two ever tell us that?"

"I don't know - I guess it never came up."

Hmmph.

Anyhow, It was pretty cool to find out a little piece of family history that I didn't previously know. Kind of like recieving an unexpected letter. He also had some funny stories relating to the whole experience. It was great to reconnect with my old friend. My dad.

Now we are off for the next few days to find the ever elusive salt water fish of the gulf coast. I'll talk to you all on Monday. Maybe some more pics then too.