Friday, September 22, 2006

MUST SEE TV IS BACK

I hate the end of summer. Summer is my season. Nothing is wrong when it's summer. For most of my adult life I've lived in places where it's basically perpetually summer - the Caribbean, South Florida, Texas and San Diego. Eventhough I haven't lived north of I-10 in over 12 years, and seasons don't change much you can't escape that time moves on and seasons are less weather related and steered more by social timing (holidays, school year, travel times, etc.).

I have to find ways to cope.

One of the things that helps me is the fall return of all my favorite shows. Thursday evenings being the jewel. If I'm going to hang out on Thursday nights - it comes after my shows are finished. My brief thoughts on the shows I watched last night:

MY NAME IS EARL- Not the funniest episode to date, but decent. Earl is a staple - you know what to expect and you'll always get some good laughs. Hopefully the writing will be better as the season gets going.

THE OFFICE - This was the funniest Office episode yet!! This show is so uncomfortably funny and I think the cast makes it. Whomever it was that cast the show deserves an emmy.

GREY'S ANATOMY - Everything I expected from the first show of the season. This show's success can be heavily attributed to it's music. Having said that, the acting and writing are both great as well. However, ER once had great writing and acting, but not the music. ER was never as good. I thought they did a good job at addressing everything that was left hanging from last season. That doesn't always happen.

SIX DEGREES - This was a pilot for a new series where everyone's lives mesh together eventhough they may not know each other (hence the name referencing the six degrees of separation theory). All I can say is, "eh". It was OK. Not great. Acting was good, but it just didn't seem to go anywhere or keep my attention. Ironically, one of the secondary characters is a girl I went to high school with (Sarah Vowell)- so that was interesting.